Project Key Mapping

timmyb

RL Member
All the info that I know of is in this thread. The old HS thread is a mess and not really worth a read through. djvj has some good info in his post with recommended keys and I've got a spreadsheet in post #12 with a logical layout I'm trying to match up with MAME/arcade controller. Post #18 has a spreadsheet with the popular emulators and who wants to work on that emulator. Project seems to be loosing life. Ninja2bseen has claimed quite a few though.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Unless other members are active and posting updates, claiming an emu means nothing. So go right ahead and work on what you want to work on, even if it was "claimed" but no update was given.

timmyb

RL Member
But if you work on these please comeback and update here. Else this project is a waste. Also I thought the spreadsheet was a good idea if I'm working on an emulator that someone else is as well then that just seems like a waste of time. Claimed was a poor word choice.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I totally agree, you guys have to be more vocal here to keep the project alive.

Janecorec

Supporter
RL Member
Just wondering...the recommended controls document lists the psx controllers CROSS and CIRCLE as the A and B buttons on the nintendo controllers...If you look at the real nintendo controllers the A and B buttons would work mutch better as X for A, and SQUARE for B. I might be wrong or confused but as I'm using a PS3 controller for all the emulators the CROSS and SQUARE buttons seem much more logical than CROSS and CIRCLE.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
I think the way they are, are more logical, but you are welcome to your opinion. When you hold an nes controller, your thumb does not rest on both A and B at the same time unless your right hand is awkwardly bent over the controller. Which is how your thumb rests when over square and X. With an nes controller, your thumb moved left/right between the 2 buttons, which is what happens when X and circle are used for B and A respectively.

Remember that controls are always configurable, so you are free to set things up as you desire on your setup.

Janecorec

Supporter
RL Member
Sorry...I meant the SNES and N64 controllers as their a and b buttons are at an angle.
But still the A button is on the right and B button to the left, so the controls would be in the wrong order on the controller.
On the real console I played som old NES games with a SNES controller and there you can use your thumb on both buttons at the same time.

Yes I know I can set up the controls to wathever I like, just thought that the cross and square buttons would work better as standard. Just my thaughts.

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
The angle the B and A buttons are at on an snes controller are exactly the same as a dualshock controller, where B and A line up with X and O. I fail to see how Square could ever come into as being a logical placement for B.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• snes controller.JPG
    snes controller.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 324
  • dualshock 3-4.JPG
    dualshock 3-4.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 320

Janecorec

Supporter
RL Member
Ok...sorry, I seem to remember wrong.

Still, when playing games on the SNES the most used buttons are B and Y in my opinion. If you play NES games with the SNES controller the A button is B on the SNES controller and the B button is the Y button. The Nintendo 64 controller has the A button where the X is and B button where the SQUARE button is on a PS controller.

Maybe I'm just wrong in this matter, I'm sure you guys have this stuff under control better then me. Keep up the good work!

dustind900

Supporter
RL Member
I'm interested to see if this project takes off. This would be in the top 5 on a list of HL features for me. I don't usually have problems getting things set up, but I can never get keymapper to cooperate. Anyway, I just wanted to note that SSF I believe only accepts letters as inputs. It might also allow arrows but I'm not positive on that. So in a keymap file that covers all systems the first eight inputs including the d-pad should all be letters. Beyond the 8th input would be decided by other emulators input compatability. I can't off the top of my head think of an emulator that does not accept letters as inputs.

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
Yeah, basing this on SSF would be problematic. You can solve just SSF with remapping the "official" keys to keys it can handle in HyperLaunch. Probably have to handle problematic emulators that way or this will never go through.

zerojay

RL Member
I based my own on SSF and with the exception of Saturn itself being limited to two players because of the lack of keys, it worked out pretty fine for me.

daithi1101

Supporter
RL Member
Hi folks,

I have just started to look at this today and started with retroarch. Seems the start keys for player 1 and 2 (h & n) are used as reset and shader 1 respectively. Apologies if this has already been raised.

AngeleToR

Hi everybody,

Just amazing the work you have done with emu mappings, I'm using it to remap my current MAME cab as I'm redoing the computer/SW part and will use it too for my new project, a 55" LED TV setup, 4 players and LOTS of controls. I've setup at home a pretty speedy network, 1Gbps with a freenas RAID server where everything related with the cabs is in its own share, so my whole setup is designed to be maped as Z:\ and share hi-scores, configs et al among every PC in my house, so only one place to setup and admin.

With this in mind I think that I've already solved the problem of different layouts between different cabs (winipac SW rules!!) but I've stumbled into a (silly) problem I'd like to discuss here. I like to be able to mount my Z unit everywhere in my house in any PC and (even slow over wi-fi) play it with just two clicks. The problem with the mapping proposed here for me is that P1SW1 is Z, while P1SW2 is L (other side of keyboard), P1SW3 is X, and so on... To play some casual from the couch, or just to setup things and try them (I setup the system from my laptop in my desk, better than standing in front of my cab).

OK, long story short, my proposed changes to the current layout is just for player 1, to rearrange its main keys in a more intuitive (and reachable) way. The changes would be:
P1SW2 = L -> X
P1SW3 = X -> C
P1SW6 = K -> I
P1SW7 = I -> K
P1SW8 = C -> L

This way keys 1 thru 4 are in a row, ordered and side by side. And buttons 7 and 8 are also side by side (MAME's default for pinball games) and great for off-the-cab use too.

I know little to nothing about the other emulators, so maybe my proposal is a shoot in my own foot, so please tell me every 'but' you can think of.

Best regads from Spain and keep up the VERY good work!!!!

EDIT: I'm trying to modify the .docx file, but as I use OpenOffice instead of Microsoft's I'm having sucha a hard time. Could someone please export it as .odt so I can edit and share it with everyone???

Last edited:

WheezyE

RL Member
Hi everyone. Keep up the great work. I just had a quick question that maybe someone would know off the top of their head: Do all the emu's use text-based cfg files to store their key configs? Does anyone know of a particular one that doesn't?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but I'm playing with the idea of making a "grep/replace strings" script to test out different key configs across emu's (maybe pull the master keys from an xpadder profile, or a spreadsheet from this project, then inject them across multiple emu's). Although, maybe this is a topic for another day...

I hope to get some time to work on this during the summer, but we'll see (I'm still in grad school). I've been watching this forum since last year with great anticipation.

Edit:
AngeleToR: You should be able to view/convert Microsoft Office documents in Google Docs.
Regards, Wheez from PDX

Last edited:

newoski

Supporter
RL Member
No. Mednafen, for example, uses numeric represenations of the keys...

IE Up = Keyboard 223 or something like that

Turranius

Supporter
RL Member
SSF is idiotic as well.

Code:
Pad0_0_0="2/200/2/208/2/203/2/205/2/16/2/17/2/18/2/19/2/20/2/21/2/22/2/23/2/24/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512/0/512"
Good luck figuring that out =)

WheezyE

RL Member
Hi guys! So I'd like to help out with this project. Would you mind listing the emulators that you've taken?
Ill be tracking it here: http://goo.gl/W7hZ5H That is editable by anyone.
Reply in this thread and I'll add it myself or just put it in the spreadsheet yourself. I'm going to start at the bottom and work up. Hopefully I'll have less of a chance of working over something that someone has all ready done.
If I don't hear from anyone I'll just press on as this is something that is holding me up from getting system configured. Thanks :D

Hey timmyb, I hope you don't mind, I added a tab to your spreadsheet with keys I've tested: http://goo.gl/W7hZ5H
Djvj, am I on the right track? Also, if an emu has customizable hotkeys (which can be disabled or reassigned) which otherwise work for gameplay, can we count those as keys ok for input?

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Very nice wheezy, looks good.

Yes if the hotkey can be disabled, it's fine to use them.