Project Key Mapping

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
Hi,
I think interest kinda fell off for this project.
It would be nice if someone that has been following it and knows where it is at would post an update. Then someone could work some more on it.

Thanks,
Ron

Hi,
great project!!!
It is THE PROJECT I was searching... WOW

But how can I start??
Thanks in advance

awaawaawa

RL Member
Hi,
It would be nice if someone that has been following it and knows where it is at would post an update. Then someone could work some more on it.

Thanks,
Ron

Yes but it starded...
Someone can tell me something??

pofo14

Yes an update would be great. I just stumbled upon this, and would try to pick it up. I just want to clarify the spreadsheet is up to date

pofo14

One other thought I had was should we look to strip down the number of emulators and come up with some "default" HS setup. We have a refined lost of supported systems and with the maturity of multi system emulators like retroarch it could be time to start discussing "less is more". If we can agree on a standard system to emulator setup this list could be shortened.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Nobody ever posted any info. So what's on this thread is current. Retroarch I don't think has any key limitations. This project is because of all the emus that do, like Ssf.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

awaawaawa

RL Member
Nobody ever posted any info. So what's on this thread is current. Retroarch I don't think has any key limitations. This project is because of all the emus that do, like Ssf.

Ok but how can I start??
There is a file, a program a script...
Thanks

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
All the info is in this thread. Just read it from the start.

awaawaawa

RL Member
Sorry but I do not understand :(

Where I have to create the general ahk? Where I have to set in the file in the RL??
Where I have to create the MAME ahk?? Where I have to set in the file in the RL??

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

WheezyE

RL Member
Hi,

Thanks,
Ron

Hey, yep seems that way.
Last I heard, we just need to press keys on emulators and make sure the emu will work with them. Just run the emu, map some keys into the player1 buttons, then press them and make sure the game doesn't crash. Also make sure to note any key combo's that the readme's warn about. No scripting needed, no ahk's, nothing like that. Post working keys or any notes here http://goo.gl/W7hZ5H

I started a few of the emu's, but it's super monotonous. We need to distribute the project / collaborate, like DjVj has suggested, or else it won't get done. I've been moving around the US working at different clinics and studying for national boards and haven't come back to the forums in a long time. Key-mapping is probably the one thing keeping me from building a cabinet, so this project is on the top of my list, but my time is limited until likely after Feb some time.

Best of luck

pofo14

Hey, yep seems that way.
Last I heard, we just need to press keys on emulators and make sure the emu will work with them. Just run the emu, map some keys into the player1 buttons, then press them and make sure the game doesn't crash. Also make sure to note any key combo's that the readme's warn about. No scripting needed, no ahk's, nothing like that. Post working keys or any notes here http://goo.gl/W7hZ5H

I started a few of the emu's, but it's super monotonous. We need to distribute the project / collaborate, like DjVj has suggested, or else it won't get done. I've been moving around the US working at different clinics and studying for national boards and haven't come back to the forums in a long time. Key-mapping is probably the one thing keeping me from building a cabinet, so this project is on the top of my list, but my time is limited until likely after Feb some time.

Best of luck

Personally I think if we really want to do this we should trim the list of emulators. With the advancements in RetroArch it can drastically reduce the number of emulators one would need to setup. So if we are going to do this my vote would be to come up with a short list of emus we would target.

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
I thought the original intent was to produce and provide keymap and joymap (for lack of a better word) files that a user can drop into their setup. You can then use your controller and not have to remap all the emulators one at a time. And it was to encompass all emulators, not just one. ;)

Thanks,
Ron

pofo14

I thought the original intent was to produce and provide keymap and joymap (for lack of a better word) files that a user can drop into their setup. You can then use your controller and not have to remap all the emulators one at a time. And it was to encompass all emulators, not just one. ;)

Thanks,
Ron

I'm for that. I'm not saying one emulator. But I am also not thinking I want to spend time figuring out how to configure multiple emulators / options for on system. I was thinking that this project could mirror the 41 system build over at HS. At least as a starting point.

rfancella

Super Moderator
Supporter
RL Member
Agreed. I wish someone would pick this project back up.
I spread myself way too thin a couple months ago, but I would love to help if someone would take the lead and explain where this is and what is still needed. ;)

Thanks,
Ron

dumpstar

You can get a program called autohotkey and do this.

#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Project64.exe; So when this is running pressing the following buttons remaps that button.
7::!F4; This is ALT+F4 to close the program
#IfWinActive, ahk_exe ccs64.exe; So when this is running pressing the following buttons remaps that button.
7::!F4
ESC::SPACE
#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Mala.exe ;cause this is always running it means that 7 will be remapped to ESC and all other remappings are removed.
7::ESC

So how this works is that it goes through the list until it matches an IF statement and then exits. You can compile the script and then just run it at startup. You would run hyperspin.exe (or whatever it the executable is called) as the last IF statement.

This way only keys that need to be remapped need to be added. The only issue I found was around using ESC to exit consistently. So what I did was reassign 7 to ESC function though you can choose any unused button on your system.

You would still need to do an excel spreadsheet to work out what keys are needed to be remapped for each system.

Rambo

Supporter
Is there anything I can do to help this project? BTW, I tried the Dropbox link, but it did not work for me.

WheezyE

RL Member
:hello: Happy to report I finally finished my clinicals and graduated! Glad that's over. Anyway, I'll be aiming to update timmyb's excel file / key catalog again periodically: http://goo.gl/W7hZ5H
I can confirm that the dropbox link on DjVj's original post is broken again.

Agreed. I wish someone would pick this project back up.
I spread myself way too thin a couple months ago, but I would love to help if someone would take the lead and explain where this is and what is still needed. ;)
Last I heard, we hadn't really made any progress hah. We are trying to catalog all keys that specific emu's don't like --- all the "landmines" that could crash or grief any given emulator if the emulator tried to handle it (for example: character "a" might be handled fine by Snes9x, but the emu can't accept "Left Alt", crashes if trying to handle some other character, or exits if multiple certain keys are pressed at the same time --- you could imagine something like player 1 pressing "ALT" and player 2 pressing "F4" at the same time on accident while playing a game, thus triggering "ALT+F4" to immediately close the emulator).

I believe the end-goal of making a catalog of these "landmines" would be to then create a universal key scheme that avoids those landmines. We could implement that universal scheme in xpadder etc.

So what is currently needed is a bunch of forum users choosing one emulator to test, configuring that emu to take a keyboard key as input, pressing that key to make sure the emulator takes the input without strange behavior, writing that key as "good", "bad", or "see comments" in timmyb's excel file, then repeating that process for every key on the keyboard. It's a lot of work.

Personally I think if we really want to do this we should trim the list of emulators. With the advancements in RetroArch it can drastically reduce the number of emulators one would need to setup. So if we are going to do this my vote would be to come up with a short list of emus we would target.
I think that's a good practical starting goal. I've update the excel so that the emu's covered by retroarch are highlighted in green text. That way we only need to test retroarch for "landmines" to knock out 20% of our workload.

Yes, that is the end-goal (holy grail) of the project. Once we have a universal map of good keys, we can start making Xpadder profiles for hundreds of different hardware devices. Once that Xpadder device library is built, a user could plug a any controller they bought at Goodwill or got from their house into their friend's computer and be instantly configured to play any emu. --- But we must find the "landmines" that crash the emu's first.

DjVj, let me know if any of my understanding about this project is off-base. I'd be happy to learn more and edit this post if needed to not confuse others.

You can get a program called autohotkey and do this.
... #IfWinActive, ahk_exe ccs64.exe; So when this is running pressing the following buttons remaps that button.
7::!F4 ... So how this works is that it goes through the list until it matches an IF statement and then exits. ... You would still need to do an excel spreadsheet to work out what keys are needed to be remapped for each system.
I truncated the quote above. I think xpadder would do something similar. I may not be understanding your code correctly though. But nevertheless, like you said, I believe the issue is finding that set of good keys that will work with every emulator first.

Last edited:

brolly

Administrator
Developer
Congratulations on your graduation.

All sounds good to me, except the RetroArch part because me as several others simply hate it also its module is community based and fails short on settings compared to modules for other dedicated emulators.

I think if we take out the Ctrl and Alt keys from the equation there shouldn't be that many landmines though. Ctrl and Alt are very prone to cause issues since most emulators use them in combination with other keys as hotkeys for some features so accidental combos will surely happen with several emulators if these are set to some player buttons. Same thing with function keys, but don't think these were ever used in the mapping.