RadKade Project

lamuelwms

RL Member
I will be needing a few testers whom don't mind spotting little bugs. I will be distributing the SVN address tonight.

lamuelwms

RL Member
Cool, I should have the site up and running tomorrow; and I will be putting the GIT URL up on there. Thanks for trying it out for me. I did some modifications to the game selection window; put more a focus on the video, also added game logos to the mix as well. I am pleased how this system looks, and it looks pretty cool on my old 19" CRT!

fss.jpg

lamuelwms

RL Member
sorry about the waiting for upload, site is parked on a free server and is hella slow. eventually i might be able to get a better server lol

edit: looks like the hosting provider im on now wont allow me to host it, since its larger than 200MB. ill try to figure out something, or wait till the first of september to get a real web server. if i figure something out, ill post it on here. i can use a public hosting site, but those things are usually riddled with viruses, ugh.

uploaded it to a public file host. u can find the link on emunet.net, or by going here: http://www.filedropper.com/radkade

Last edited:

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Some feedback:

Why are you creating tons of temp files in my Windows Temp folder? I don't like this and I don't see a need to recreate images there that should already be residing in the media subfolder.

Launching doesn't seem to do anything, Log shows I launched a game, but I got no response or any feedback to show otherwise.

Where are the settings? I can't find any settings files or anything.

Loading videos is very slow when stopping on a game while navigating, it takes a good 3 seconds to load anything related to that game. The FE is instant on everything except this. If I jump ahead a lot of games, it stops loading media all together and is stuck on whatever the last game was.

When the screensaver kicks in, the media of the selected games never load, probably related to the above bug.

Exiting back to the main menu should bring me back to the last loaded system, not the default.

Esc, or your back key should allow me to exit the FE, but I had to Alt+F4 to close it.

Besides those so far, it is very fast and feels nice. Good job on it so far.

lamuelwms

RL Member
DJ, the TEMP files come from the main menu files being extracted (ZIP), no other media should be in there. The 3 second thing was/is intentional at the moment, perhaps I will lower it down to 500ms. As for the screensaver issue, I know what the problem is there easy fix, I just have to write a routine that detects the screensaver becoming active and halt all media. As for settings files, once we get deeper and get the design panned out, settings will be made more readily available (as for now they are hardcoded). As for it not launching a game (do you have Rad Launcher running / that is the interpreter between hyperlaunch, web and client,) and also do you have your hyperlaunch exe absolute path in hyperlaunch.txt. I am addressing a few of these little annoyances now. Will post the GIT repo on here as soon as its done.

lamuelwms

RL Member
djvj, i added quite a few changes to this current build. u can now get it via git (so just point the git to your current folder.) here is a brief list of what was changed.

increased the speed at which videos respond (from 3.4 s to 150 ms)
frontend now disables the screensaver while running (tricks screensaver to not show)
added an escape menu to the main screen
frontend now remembers where you left off when exiting a game menu back to systems menu
files are now cached (this only need apply to main menu themes) - what this means is they only will be extracted every first run, if a previous extraction has been detected files are loaded from cache. cache is cleaned everytime you startup the frontend.

thanks for the good tips and suggestions, keep em coming if you got em'. tomorrow i might get into some light theme options and so forth as well.

here is the new GIT address: https://github.com/sthrnfriedchkn/Rad-Kade

thanks for the testing and the feedback most of all, it really helps me hammer out the loose ends.

djvj

Administrator
Staff member
Developer
Why is anything being extracted on launch? Shouldn't the media be in the media folder and just read? This seems unnecessary to me. That way users can see the existing media and swap it out where needed.

I didn't know I had to run the server before the FE, I just didn't touch it. What was your idea of going this route as requiring 2 executables to use your FE? That's another thing I see as unnecessary. Are you planning on incorporating this into the main executable at a later time?

I did update the hyperlaunch.txt and that's why I wondered why it still didn't work.

Thanks for the quick response on the other issues. I'll check them out when I get some free time.

lamuelwms

RL Member
Why is anything being extracted on launch? Shouldn't the media be in the media folder and just read? This seems unnecessary to me. That way users can see the existing media and swap it out where needed.

I didn't know I had to run the server before the FE, I just didn't touch it. What was your idea of going this route as requiring 2 executables to use your FE? That's another thing I see as unnecessary. Are you planning on incorporating this into the main executable at a later time?

I did update the hyperlaunch.txt and that's why I wondered why it still didn't work.

Thanks for the quick response on the other issues. I'll check them out when I get some free time.

the answer to the zips and launcher alike are temporary. the first few builds i am releasing r just to hunt for major bugs. i am making some dramatic changes today as well. thx 4 feedback

lamuelwms

RL Member
Just letting everybody know the site will be down until we can get a proper host. however, the git will still be alive and well, so feel free to download and check often for new versions (at least once a day.)

lamuelwms

RL Member
Here is what I have been working on today so far. The one thing that I do not like about most frontends, is that they are not fluid with their layouts; as in a lot of the stuff is finite and built around the basis of a 4:3 display. Essentially what I did today was make Rad Kade fluid and playable at every resolution and scale imaginable. If you are using an old 15K low-res monitor, Rad Kade will scale to its dimensions, if you are using a 1080p monitor, it will scale up to it. Everything now scales, the artwork, the texts, and all of the elements therein. Now that we have the option for dynamic multiresolution built in, I am seriously thinking about what to do next to enhance the overall frontend even further. Here is a video of me playing with the scaling. This version will be fresh on GitHub here in a few hours once I tie up the loose ends.

bondy

RL Member
Here is what I have been working on today so far. The one thing that I do not like about most frontends, is that they are not fluid with their layouts; as in a lot of the stuff is finite and built around the basis of a 4:3 display. Essentially what I did today was make Rad Kade fluid and playable at every resolution and scale imaginable. If you are using an old 15K low-res monitor, Rad Kade will scale to its dimensions, if you are using a 1080p monitor, it will scale up to it. Everything now scales, the artwork, the texts, and all of the elements therein. Now that we have the option for dynamic multiresolution built in, I am seriously thinking about what to do next to enhance the overall frontend even further. Here is a video of me playing with the scaling. This version will be fresh on GitHub here in a few hours once I tie up the loose ends.

Awesome! I have 1920X1080 so this is great for me.

I had a play with it last night. Already feels solid and satisfyingly responsive. The retro vibe is really authentic. I hooked up to the GIT too, so look forward to the updates.

I didn't play for long, so if these questions are basic, forgive me:

1. Do i have to uncouple Hyperlaunch from Hyperspin (ie does HL need to be in the root directory for it to work?) I'm a little lazy and havent done this yet (sorry DJVJ!)
2. I know settings are hardcoded at the moment, but did i miss an option for it to go full screen (ideally, hiding Windows top folders and navigation pane)?
3. I wasn't sure how to add additional systems yet. Again, this is probably basic and maybe would make sense once I poke around longer.
4. I noticed that MAME wasn't included in the theme folder or icon; it was mainly 80s consoles (which are awesome by the way!). I'm mainly going to be using MAME - i assume it will be fully supported?

Thanks again for all your hard work. Absolutely love the concept and execution.

lamuelwms

RL Member
Awesome! I have 1920X1080 so this is great for me.

I had a play with it last night. Already feels solid and satisfyingly responsive. The retro vibe is really authentic. I hooked up to the GIT too, so look forward to the updates.

I didn't play for long, so if these questions are basic, forgive me:

1. Do i have to uncouple Hyperlaunch from Hyperspin (ie does HL need to be in the root directory for it to work?) I'm a little lazy and havent done this yet (sorry DJVJ!)

No, it does not; just point hyperlaunch.txt to your hyperlaunch.exe file.

2. I know settings are hardcoded at the moment, but did i miss an option for it to go full screen (ideally, hiding Windows top folders and navigation pane)?

Right now its starts off windowed and goes fullscreen with ALT+ENTER

3. I wasn't sure how to add additional systems yet. Again, this is probably basic and maybe would make sense once I poke around longer.

Adding systems right now is perplexing since I am not done with the control panel yet, I would suggest holding off that way you dont stuff your setup lol

4. I noticed that MAME wasn't included in the theme folder or icon; it was mainly 80s consoles (which are awesome by the way!). I'm mainly going to be using MAME - i assume it will be fully supported?

Of course, anything and everything will be supported. I just didnt have the media available at the moment for it; mame is included on the latest git.

Thanks again for all your hard work. Absolutely love the concept and execution.

my pleasure, thanks for the feedback.

Oh, I am pushing latest version to GIT right now. if u could be a sport, start it up and ALT+ENTER to go into fullscreen 1080p and let me know if it looks okay thatd be great. i dont have a 1080 monitor so i just have to take your word for it, but hope it looks okay. git is now updated with the dynamic resolution build.

Last edited:

lamuelwms

RL Member
Added Rad Wizard to the GIT. This program will allow you to adjust your keybindings for the frontend. This application will eventually be the control panel for the entire frontend. However, right now it just remaps controls. Enjoy!